Saturday, September 3, 2011

Sneak peak of soap dishes & trivets ...

My hubby & I worked hard today to make some progress with the wood pieces. Not only did I get more sanded, but he & I worked out 2 designs for the soap dishes & got to see the first squared off trivet. I have to admit, I’m having more fun seeing the soap dishes come together than the trivets … but it’s all been fun! I’m learning more about sanding as I go … mainly that I didn’t know enough before!

Top is trivet. left is soap dish design 1 & right is design 2.
So here you can see what all three things look like, rough cut.

The trivet has been sanded some. You can see how nice it looks compared to the soap dishes.

The soap dishes tho, are still rough & will be nice & smooth when finished.


And here is how they look when wet. The wet look really brings out the grains & is what they will all look like when finished. I am leaning towards a nice satin finish. For the trivet I believe we'll use a Danish Oil finish. It will soak into the wood nicely & be heat resistant. The soap dishes will have a polycrylic water based finish which is good to use on things coming in contact with water. 


The soap dish with just the slat cut into it will have a nice beveled/rounded top edge done with a router. The other soap dish design will have the sharp edges rounded a bit, but not actually router-ed, just softened. The second design has feet too. We talked about making some kind of nice concave area in them but since we don’t have a full blown wood shop at our disposal, doing that would be truly cost prohibitive.

It may be another week before we see more progress, but who knows. Thanks for coming along on this journey with me!

4 comments:

Garden Gate Botanicals said...

These are really looking good! Great idea, and teaming up with a soap seller is a great idea! Can't wait to see the next post in this endeavor!

Deni Breitenbach said...

They are coming together nicely! Love the wood grain, what type of wood are they?

Raige Creations said...

Wow, they look great. I love the natural look of them. Thanks for sharing your journey!

soap dishes said...

very creative and very nice and elegant to look at..we should learn to be more creative be more responsive to make sure that your bathroom and your toilet are well organized and very clean to look at..

soap dishes